Southend on Sea Linux User Group
Articles of Association
The name of the Association shall be Southend on Sea Linux User Group, referred to in this document as SoSLUG.
To buy, store, process, distribute, offer for charity and where appropriate, sell software, hardware, knowledge, information and other products.
To raise funds and receive contributions where appropriate to finance the work.
To maintain a bank account for SoSLUG funds.
To make rules and standing orders for categories of members and their rights.
To organise meetings, training courses and events.
To work with similar groups and exchange information and advice with them.
To take any action that is lawful, which would help to fulfil its aims.
- Membership of SoSLUG shall be open to anyone who is interested in helping SoSLUG to achieve its aims and is willing to abide by the rules of SoSLUG.
- Every member shall have one vote at general meetings.
- SoSLUG shall have a Management Committee.
- The Management Committee shall have the power to refuse membership to a person where it is considered such membership would be detrimental to the aims, or activities of SoSLUG.
- Any member wishing to stand for election as a member of the Management Committee must have been a member for at least six months prior to standing or being recommended for election.
- Should any committee position become vacant through illness, change of circumstance or expulsion, an EGM must be called within 6 weeks to elect a new official.
- Each member within the Group is required to pay a yearly subscription of £1.00p.
- Persons who have not paid a subscription are still welcome to SoSLUG meetings and will be known as guests. Guests will not have any rights to voting or election.
Registration and termination of membership.
Any member of SoSLUG may resign their membership and any representative of a member organisation may resign their position, by giving to the Secretary of SoSLUG a written notice to that effect.
The Management Committee may, by resolution passed at a meeting, suspend the membership of any member, if in its opinion their conduct is detrimental to the interests and objectives of SoSLUG. Membership termination may follow in extreme cases.Any member or representative of a member organisation (as the case may be) that has had membership suspended, shall have the right to be heard by the General Committee before the decision is made to terminate membership. There shall be a right of appeal to an independent arbitrator appointed by mutual agreement.
- SoSLUG shall be administered by the Management Committee being of not less than three (3) people and not more than fifteen (15) members elected at SoSLUG's Annual General Meeting. Committee members must be at least 18 years old.
- The officers of the Management Committee shall be:-
Any such other officers SoSLUG shall deem necessary at the meeting.
- Voting at Committee meetings shall be by show of hands on a majority basis. If there is a tied vote then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
- The management Committee shall have the power to set up sub-groups and working parties as deemed necessary who shall be accountable to the Committee.
Any money obtained by SoSLUG shall be used only for SoSLUG.
Any bank accounts opened for SoSLUG shall be in the name of the group.
Any cheque issued shall be signed by at least two of any three nominated signatures.
The Management Committee will ensure that SoSLUG stays within budget.
The Committee shall meet when required.
The quorum (minimum number of people required) for a meeting shall be three (3).
The Committee shall be accountable to the members at all times.
All meetings must be minuted and available to any interested party.
All Committee members shall be given at least seven (7) days notice of a meeting unless it is deemed an emergency meeting.
Annual General Meetings
An annual General Meeting shall be held within two (2) months of the close of the financial year of SoSLUG, the business of which shall include :-
I. the receipt of the accounts and balance sheet,
II. the election of Committee members , if it has been decided to have such a Committee.
The quorum for Annual General Meetings shall be at least eight (8) members of which no more than four (4) shall be Committee members.
The members of the Management Committee shall serve for one year but may be re-elected.
Application of Surplus
SoSLUG shall not trade for profit. Any surplus of SoSLUG shall be used as a general reserve for the continuation and development of SoSLUG.
Alteration of the Articles of Association.
Proposals for amendments to this constitution, or dissolution, must be delivered to the Secretary in writing. The Secretary in conjunction with all other officers shall then decide on the date of a meeting to discuss such proposals, giving at least four weeks (28 days) clear notice. Any changes to these Articles of Association must be agreed by at least two thirds of those members present and voting at any general meeting.
SoSLUG may be wound up at any time if agreed by two thirds of those members present and voting at any general meeting. Any assets shall be returned to their providers, if they require it, or shall be passed to another group with similar aims.
Adoption of the Articles of Association
These Articles of Association were adopted by
the members present at the AGM